Propecia – Overview
Information and Facts
Propecia is used for the treatment of baldness in men which occurs in the form of thinning of hair on the scalp. Although its working is slow, it offers a good solution for the hair loss problem in men by regrowing hair on the bald patches. Finasteride is the active constituent used in Propecia to stop hair loss. It has been clinically proven to be effective with an 82% chance of retaining hair. Also, it stabilizes proportion of hair on the scalp. The usefulness of Propecia was self-evident in a five-year study in which men taking Propecia were able to regrow their hair.
Propecia’s branded versions called Propecia, Proscar are also available in the market. Propecia comes in a tablet form and needs to be consumed orally. It is usually available in 1 mg.
Benefits of Propecia
- Helps to regrow hair
- Clinically proven effective
- Works to stabilize hair proportion on the scalp
- Similar to its brand equivalent in quality and safety value
- Cheaper than its brand equivalent
How does Propecia (Finasteride) work?
In most cases, hormonal imbalance i.e. excessive amount of dihydrotesterone in the body is the prime cause of hair loss. Propecia prevents the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in the body and thus, maintains the hormonal balance in the body. This in turn leads to the generation of testosterone up to the required level which results in the hair growth on the bald areas. More importantly, it not only causes growth of new hair but also improves overall hair health.
What is the suggested dosage for Propecia?
- The suggested dose of Propecia (finasteride) is 5 mg in a day.
- As per the prescription of the doctor, proper consumption of the medicine is recommended for an effective result
A consultation with the doctor is a must before starting with this medicine.
Precautions to be taken while using Propecia
- Propecia should not be taken by a woman or a child
- Elderly men should consult the doctor before taking Propecia
- Before starting with this medicine, let your doctor know about the intake of other medications taken by you, as concomitant use of certain medicines with this medicine may cause health problems.
Side effects of Propecia
There have been some reports of side-effects due to the usage of finasteride which are follows:
- Loss of interest in sex
- Discharge from the nipple
- Skin rash, itching
- Swelling of the lips or face
- Pain in the testicles
- These side effects are usually mild and don’t last longer than a few hours, but if they last for more than a week then it is recommended to consult the doctor.
- The side effects given above may not contain all the possible side effects
- Users of this medicine may or may not experience the above listed symptoms of side effects
- Women or children should not be permitted to have finasteride tablets
- Consumption of this drug in excess quantity may lead to severe problems
Is alopecia a lifetime?
Currently, there is no cure for alopecia areata. But the good news is that even when your disease is “active,” your hair follicles remain alive. This means that your hair can grow back again — even after a long period of time and even if you have more than 50% hair loss.